Friday, November 3, 2017

お久しぶり

It's been a while. Reviving this blog because I'm inspired to write again.

The only resolution I made at the start of this year was to change my lifestyle and work towards reducing waste in my life.

It just kind of came to me one day, queuing in the hawker centre during lunch hour and watching everyone pack food to go, in styrofoam boxes and plastic bags, with disposable plastic forks and spoons, one-use wooden chopsticks, plastic containers, plastic cups...and I thought about how there are probably hundreds, maybe even a thousand people going through this one hawker centre in one day, and how everyone eats five lunches during the working week, and the unimaginable amount of waste we all generate all the time.

How is it that we are all still doing it?? Despite evidence and news of the devastating consequences it has on the ocean, marine life, Earth. Eight million tons of plastic end up in the ocean every year, and the figures just keep increasing. The more I read about the environmental problems the more horrified and terrible I feel. It's not just about plastic waste, there are also other issues like deforestation due to palm oil demand. I never used to think about the way I consumed products, but after delving more into the issues I started becoming more conscious of everything I consumed. I looked up the zero waste movement, found many many tips on Pinterest, and decided to start on it.

So far I have made (or tried my best to make) the following changes in my life:
  • Switched to the menstrual cup - After watching countless YouTube videos and doing a ton of research, I finally took the plunge and made the switch to the menstrual cup. It was difficult initially, learning how to use it properly, but I have used it for about six months now and have drastically reduced my usage of tampons and pads. In fact I barely use them at all now. Can I also just say that it is the most liberating thing; you don't have to feel like you're sitting in a diaper of blood, get skin irritation from pads, or risk getting TSS from the use of tampons.
  • Switched to using shampoo bars and bar soaps - Bar soaps are easy but the switch to shampoo bars took a little getting used to. The first shampoo bar that I bought was from LUSH, and unfortunately I cannot say that I like it because it makes my hair rough, and I feel that it does not clean my scalp properly. It also contains SLS. Did a ton of searching online and finally found a shop where the shampoo bars do not contain SLS, paraben or palm oil, prices are reasonable, shipping isn't exorbitant, and ordered two shampoo bars. Can't wait to receive them and try them out.
  • Dined-in or packed my own lunch as far as possible - This is not always possible unfortunately, depending how busy work gets. Earlier in the year I tried to cook and pack my own lunch bento as much as possible, but the amenities at my current work place make it difficult to do so, so now I try to dine in when possible.
  • Refused disposable cutlery - I have my own set of cutlery that I keep at work and use whenever I do have to buy takeaway.
  • Reduced use of plastic bags when grocery shopping - I bring along reusable bags when I go grocery shopping. Sometimes we do impromptu shopping though and I do not always have a reusable tote bag at hand, so I'm still working on this
  • Switched to environmentally-friendly toothbrushes - Bought wheat straw toothbrushes to replace plastic toothbrushes. Right now I am wondering if an electric toothbrush would be longer-lasting, or if it would be wasteful as well. I imagine the plastic brush head would have to be replaced periodically. I should probably look into toothpaste alternatives as well.

It's easy to think that as one person it's impossible for you to do anything impactful, and therefore there is no point in trying. But collectively consumers do have power to make it known to companies that we expect them to do better, through our consumption choices. I am constantly inspired by the zero waste community online and the tips on Pinterest to replace, reduce, reuse or recycle.

Currently I am looking into making some reusable cotton pads for removing makeup, getting a reusable straw and researching on what other small steps I can take. I am still far from zero waste, but everyone has got to start somewhere.

Start doing something

No comments:

Post a Comment